El Realito Aqueduct
The infrastructure for supplying the more than 850,000 inhabitants of San Luis Potosí
This infrastructure is covered by the 23-year concession for the provision of piping and purification services from the El Realito Dam to the City of San Luis Potosí in Mexico, awarded by the State Commission for Water in San Luis Potosí to a company consortium in which Aqualia is participating.
The contract, in which FCC Construcción is participating in a joint venture, contemplates the construction of the El Realito Aqueduct, together with the execution of the Executive Project and the operational testing.
The El Realito Aqueduct is in Mexico, between the states of Guanajuato, where the dam is located, and San Luís Potosí, the capital of which has six reception tanks to provide potable water to more than 850,000 inhabitants.
The pipeline carries 1.02 cubic metres per second from the dam to the purification plant and then from here, at 1.0 cubic metre per second, to the reception tanks in the City of San Luis Potosí.
Water capture is carried out at the dam, where three pumping stations drive the water to a regime-change tank. From this point, the water is carried by gravity to the purification plant where the water is treated. Subsequently, the now-treated water is taken, also by gravity, to the six reception tanks in the City of San Luis Potosí, which have an accumulated capacity of 16,000 m3.
The pipeline, of various materials, has a total length of 134 kilometres. The sections are divided as follows:
- The pumped section from the El Realito Dam to the regime-change tank is fifteen kilometres long. This is executed in 36-inch diameter steel piping.
- The gravity section, from the regime-change tank to the urban agglomeration of San Luis Potosí, which is 99 kilometres long. Executed using the following types of piping: 48-inch steel, concrete with 48 and 54-inch steel cylinders, 48 and 54-inch steel covered with mortar.
- The San Luis Potosí urban area section, which is twenty kilometres long. Executed using the following types of piping: 30-inch steel, 30 and 36-inch steel with mortar covering, 30-inch prestressed concrete and 12, 14 and 20-inch HDPE.
In addition to the described hydraulic works, the contract also includes the construction of some 53 kilometres of asphalted service roads, substations, mains electricity connections and a remote control system.
- Global Water Intelligence publication award for the innovating structure of the macro-project financing.
- The best project in Latin-America because of its innovating financial model, awarded by the "Euromoney" financial publication.
Cost: 146.0 M€
Client: San Luis Potosí State Water Commission
Start date: 2011
End date: 2013